Hello everyone …
Our plan is to create a section on our website that showcases a range of great recipes using a wide variety of ingredients and of course our range of RocketShip Hot Sauces.
We’ve been really lucky recently to have worked with our friend and plant based recipe consultant Suzy Smith from Bace Foods.
Suzy’s kicked things off by creating a selection of delicious recipes which really demonstrate the versatility of our sauces. The first one is called ….
‘Solar powered’ Jamaican Curry
Authentic Jamaican curry powder is made without hot pepper. Chillies (Scotch Bonnet or Habanero) are added separately to your recipe. In this easy recipe the chilli heat will come from adding ‘Solar’ sauce which contains Lemon Drop and Red Habanero’s chillies. Here I’ve made a quick and easy version of the curry powder using garam masala as a base.
Most Jamaican curry powders are bright yellow from lots of turmeric and always include allspice. If your garam masala doesn’t include nutmeg, add a grating of that too.
Preparation Time: 10 minutes
Cooking Time: 35 minutes
1 tblsp garam masala
1 ½ tsp turmeric powder
1 tsp allspice berries, ground
1 tblsp coconut oil
1 large onion, diced
1 garlic clove, chopped
1 large, sweet potato (300g), diced in large chunks
4 tinned plum tomatoes
3 tblsp Rocket Ship ‘Solar’ sauce
½ tsp salt
1 x 400ml can coconut milk
1 x 400g tin kidney beans (drained)
150g green beans
- Make the curry spice mix by grinding the allspice berries and adding to the powdered spices.
- Heat the oil in a large pan. Add the onion and garlic. Cook gently for 5 minutes.
- Stir in the spices and let them cook for a couple of minutes to release their flavours.
- Add the plum tomatoes, breaking them up as your stir in.
- Add the sweet potato chunks, ‘Solar’ sauce, salt and coconut milk. Bring to the boil and simmer gently for 20 minutes until the sweet potato is tender.
- Add the kidney beans and green beans. Cook for a further 10 minutes.
- Garnish with coriander then serve with rice or flat breads and some extra ‘Solar’ if you like more heat.